– 1 ½ pounds asparagus, diagonally sliced into ½-inch pieces
– ¼ cup vegetable oil, divided
– ½ pound flank steak, thinly sliced
– 1 tablespoon fermented black bean paste (available at Asian or international aisle)
– 1 ½ teaspoons salt
– ½ teaspoon sugar
– ½ cup chicken stock
– 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add asparagus and cook 2 minutes, until softened. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a work or skillet over high heat. When hot, add steak and cook until no longer pink, 1 to 2 minutes, stirring. Remove from wok and set aside. Add remaining oil to wok and heat; add asparagus and cook until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes, stirring. Add reserved steak, bean paste, salt, and sugar. Stir to mix.
3. Add stock and stir to incorporate, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until sauce thickens and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and serve immediately.